Disu’s 28 points lead Texas past Penn State, into Sweet 16

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:29:57 GMT

Disu’s 28 points lead Texas past Penn State, into Sweet 16 DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Dylan Disu had a season-high 28 points on 14-for-20 shooting, steadying Texas down the stretch after a late Penn State surge and leading the Longhorns to their first Sweet 16 in 15 years with a 71-66 victory in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday night.The No. 2 seed Longhorns (28-8) were just 1 for 13 from 3-point land, so Disu turned this into a mid-range game. He went 5 for 5 over the last 4 1/2 minutes and grabbed 10 rebounds for good measure. “We’ve never played against a big man with that type of touch,” Penn State’s Seth Lundy said. “I don’t remember him missing, not one floater. He would do it from 10 feet, 15 feet, 5 feet.” Sir’Jabari Rice scored 13 points for Texas, which will play the Pittsburgh-Xavier winner on Friday in the Midwest Region semifinals in Kansas City, Missouri. The 11th-seeded Panthers and third-seeded Musketeers meet on Sunday.“A lot of my shots I took one dribble on, so that means my teammat...

Duke rejoins March Madness, defeats Iona in first round

Duke rejoins March Madness, defeats Iona in first round DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — Celeste Taylor and Elizabeth Balogun each scored 13 points and Duke marked its return to NCAA Tournament action with an 89-49 romp past Iona on Saturday night.It was the first NCAA Tournament win for Duke since 2018, when it last had a spot in the tournament. Duke has won at least one NCAA Tournament game in all 25 seasons when it has been in the field.Kennedy Brown and Jordyn Oliver added 10 points apiece as the Blue Devils shot 57.1% from the field.Duke’s Kara Lawson, who appeared in three Final Fours as a Tennessee player, coached in an NCAA Tournament game for the first time.Third-seeded Duke (26-6) will face sixth-seeded Colorado, an 82-60 winner over Middle Tennessee in the site’s first game, in Monday’s second round.Ketsia Athias led No. 14 seed Iona (26-7) with 20 points. Juana Camilion had 12.Duke led 47-16 at halftime, shooting 60.6% from the field. Ten players scored for the Blue Devils in the first half.In part because of 13 turnovers, Iona managed on...

Brandon Hagel has hat trick, Lightning beat Canadiens 5-3

Brandon Hagel has hat trick, Lightning beat Canadiens 5-3 TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Brandon Hagel had his second NHL hat trick, Steven Stamkos reached the 30-goal mark for the eighth time and the Tampa Bay Lightning rallied in the third period to beat the Montreal Canadiens 5-3 on Saturday night.Stamkos tied it at 3 at 3:14 of the third with a power-play one-timer. Hagel put the Lightning ahead to stay at 5:58 with his second of the game when his deflection of Mikhail Sergachev’s shot went past Samuel Montembeault.Hagel, playing his 200th NHL game on the first anniversary of being traded to the Lightning by the Chicago Blackhawks, completed his hat trick by hitting the empty net with 43.6 seconds remaining.“Last year, I was packing my stuff up a year ago and playing a hockey game tonight, and I wouldn’t have traded it for the world,” Hagel said. “I think I couldn’t have come to a better place.”Hagel’s ability to play up and down the lineup has impressed coach Jon Cooper.“You can put him anywhere,” Cooper said. “He’s like a Swiss army knife. You c...

Quick start helps NYCFC post 3-2 victory over D.C. United

Quick start helps NYCFC post 3-2 victory over D.C. United NEW YORK (AP) — Talles Magno and Santiago Rodríguez scored first-half goals and New York City FC never trailed in a 3-2 victory over D.C. United on Saturday night at Yankee Stadium.NYCFC (2-1-1) grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 17th minute on a goal by Magno, his first of the season. Braian Cufré and Keaton Parks picked up assists on the score.NYCFC took a 2-0 lead into halftime after Rodríguez took a pass from Gabriel Pereira and found the net in the 37th minute.Christian Benteke pulled DC United (1-2-1) within a score when he scored in the first minute of the second half. Thiago Andrade upped the NYCFC lead to 3-1 in the 88th minute with an assist from Rodríguez. Steven Birnbaum took a pass from Mateusz Klich and scored in the 90th minute for DC United to complete the scoring.NYCFC outshot DC United 10-9 with a 6-4 edge in shots on goal.Luis Barraza finished with two saves for NYCFC. Tyler Miller had three saves for DC United.D.C. United has gone 2-12-1 in its last 15 road matches dating...

Formann scores 21 as Colorado’s 3s sink Middle Tennessee

Formann scores 21 as Colorado’s 3s sink Middle Tennessee DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — Frida Formann scored 21 points and Colorado unleashed a torrid 3-point shooting display to roll past Middle Tennessee 82-60 in the NCAA Tournament’s first round Saturday night. Jaylyn Sherrod added 13 points and Aaronette Vonleh had 11 points for the Buffaloes, who made a season-high 13 shots from beyond the 3-point arc. Seven Colorado players made at least one 3, led by Formann’s 5-for-8 effort.“If that’s what they’re giving us, I think we’re really good at taking advantage of it,” Formann said.Sixth-seeded Colorado (24-8), which will be in the second round for the first time since 2003, meets host Duke on Monday.“We’ve just worked so hard to get here and I’m just happy we’re back on this stage finally,” Formann said.Anastasiia Boldyreva’s 16 points, Savannah Wheeler’s 15 points and Kseniya Malashka’s 13 points led No. 11 seed Middle Tennessee (28-5), which had won 10 in a row.“They played extremely well,” Middle Tennessee coach Rick Insell said. “We didn’t play...

Oklahoma has big 3rd quarter to advance over Portland, 85-63

Oklahoma has big 3rd quarter to advance over Portland, 85-63 LOS ANGELES (AP) — Aubrey Joens and Taylor Robertson each scored 14 points and fifth-seeded Oklahoma took control in the third quarter to defeat No. 12 seed Portland 85-63 Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.Madi Williams added 13 points for the Sooners (26-6), who will face the winner of No. 4 seed UCLA and 13th-seeded Sacramento State in Monday’s second round. The winner will advance to the Greenville 1 regional.Alex Fowler led Portland (23-9) with 18 points while Emme Shearer and Lucy Cochrane had 12 apiece. The Pilots were 3 of 19 on 3-pointers.Joens had eight points during the pivotal third quarter. Oklahoma had a 39-34 halftime lead, but went on a couple runs and were up 63-47 going into the final 10 minutes.Portland got within 39-36 early in the third quarter when coach Michael Meek was called for a technical with 8:16 remaining. Robertson hit a pair of free throws which started a 13-4 Oklahoma run.The Sooners also were able to pull away due to their trip...

'He left the world doing what he loved': Avalanche victim remembered as lover of all things adventure

'He left the world doing what he loved': Avalanche victim remembered as lover of all things adventure GUNNISON COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) -- The Colorado Avalanche Information Center said a skier who was buried in an avalanche Friday was recovered Saturday morning southwest of the Town of Marble. “Skiing was Joel's life. That was his life, it was his passion and what he wanted to do with his life," Aaron Shute, the brother of the 36-year-old avalanche victim Joel Shute, said. Shute's mother, brother, girlfriend and friends all were at his home in Glenwood Springs Saturday night and that is when they talked with FOX31 and Channel 2. They told us Shute had just turned 36 this past week. “He was literally born to ski," Lisa Gerstner, Shute's mom said. According to family and friends, on top of loving to ski, rafting and being a pilot Shute always had his number one adventure buddy with him - his dog Bomba. “This is Joel's prized Bomba a Pomeranian Husky mix,” Brittany Beavers, a friend of Shute's, said "Joel would regularly ski with Bomba.”Shute's mom said he earned a degree in environmental...

10-year-old boy bitten by dog shares ordeal; mother wants animal’s owner to come forward

10-year-old boy bitten by dog shares ordeal; mother wants animal’s owner to come forward A 10-year-old boy described the fightening moments when he was bitten by a dog that, he said, was about to attack his little sister, as their mother pleaded for the public’s help in identifying the animal’s owner in the hopes that he will come forward.Kiara Brown and her son, Nehemiah Comer, spoke with 7News on Saturday about the disturbing incident that took place earlier in the week in Miami Shores.“He didn’t deserve that. He’s the type of kid that will do anything for anybody,” said Brown.Comer said he was walking to school in the area of Northwest 105th Street and Second Avenue with his siblings on Tuesday when the dog set his sights on them.The boy said the canine was about to jump on his 6-year-old sister.“This guy with the dog, a big dog, he was like walking past us, we were walking past him, and then the dog was looking at my sister,” he said.Comer said the dog lunged for his sister, but he jumped in front of her.“The dog...

Editorial: California’s nuke power push exposes green shortfall

Editorial: California’s nuke power push exposes green shortfall If you want more tangible evidence of how unrealistic the green push for renewable energy is, look at California.This month, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission gave the Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant a lifeline.The facility, located in San Luis Obispo, was scheduled to shut down in 2025. But regulators now say it may remain open while it pursues the ability to operate for another 20 years.This is a significant change and more evidence that the progressive agenda on renewable energy isn’t yet remotely tenable if the nation hopes to keep the lights on.In 2016, PG&E, which operates the plant, announced that it would close and be replaced with solar and wind power. Environmental groups had long sought to shutter the facility. In 2018, the company withdrew a renewal application before federal regulators.But last year, the California Legislature passed a bill that reversed the California Public Utilities Commission’s decision to approve the license termination. That set the table fo...

Mae Whitman tunes up for Hulu’s musical rom com ‘Up Here’

Mae Whitman tunes up for Hulu’s musical rom com ‘Up Here’ Original and unexpected with a mini-Broadway musical in every episode, “Up Here” follows a romantic couple as they date while always hearing negative, scolding, warning voices “up here” in their heads.Mae Whitman and Carlos Valdez are Lindsay and Miguel in the 8-episode Hulu series beginning Friday who melodically soar to a score by the “Frozen” Oscar-winning songwriting couple Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez.Being able to sing in an original musical, Whitman, 34, admitted while snacking on French fries in a Zoom interview, “was a big part of this. God help me I’ve been doing this since I was three and you get this illusion over the years that what you’re about is whatever comes along, just give me a job.“But when something like this comes along — where all the pieces fit together, the people are all incredible and the script is unbelievable and you get to do something in it that terrifies you? All of those things triggers inspiration again.“And,” she added...